Thunchan Smarakam (Memorial) has been set up in memory of the father of Malayalam language, Thunchathu Ezhuthachan. The Memorial, established in1964 endeavours to propagate the ideals of Thunchathu Ezhuthachan. A cultural institute, the memorial is situated at Thunchan Parambu, Tirur in Malappuram district.
In 1906, a meeting chaired by Maharaja Manavikramayettan Thampuran was convened to construct a memorial for the Acharya at Thunchan Parambu. About one thousand people took part in the meeting. Again in 1954 a meeting was convened chaired by K. P. Kesava Menon to deliberate seriously on the construction of the memorial. Literary buffs took part in the meeting. With people’s contribution and government funds 4 acres and 60 cents of land was bought. The stone for the memorial was laid by Pattom Thanu Pillai, Chief Minister of Kerala in 1961. The memorial was inaugurated on 15 January 1964. In October 1964 a committee comprising eleven members was formed. With this, Thunchan Parambu at Tirur found a place in Kerala’s cultural history. After K. P. Kesava Menon, important persons like S.K Pottekatt, T.N Jayachandran, M. S. Menon served as chairman of the Memorial. In 1993, M.T Vasudevan Nair took over as Chairman.
Today, Thunchan Memorial houses a full-fledged research centre, Malayalam literature Museum, palm leaf library, auditorium for holding meetings, open-air stage, guest houses, rest rooms, open space, Saraswati mandapam and children’s library.
The research centre inaugurated in 1998, was recognized by the University of Calicut as an approved research centre.
In 2008, the first Malayalam language museum was inaugurated at Thunchan Parambu.
Every year for five days in the first week of February, Thunchan Festival is organized. The programmes include national seminars, South Indian poetry fest, friendly encounters among litterateurs from different states, book fairs, exhibitions, variety entertainment etc.
To know more about Thunchan Smarakom, Tirur, click here.