The Hill Palace Museum is Kerala's first heritage museum and is the largest archaeological museum in the state. Built in 1865, the palace complex consists of 49 buildings in the traditional architectural style of Kerala, sprawled over 52 acres of beautifully landscaped terraced land which houses a deer park and facilities for horse riding.
The museum is noted for royal collections of the erstwhile Maharaja of Kochi. On display in the full-fledged Ethno-archaeological museum are oil-paintings, murals, sculptures in stone and manuscripts, inscriptions, coins, belongings of the Kochi royal family and royal furniture including the simhasana (throne). The palace was taken over by the Department of Archaeology in 1980 and later converted into a museum.